Drinking water in Switzerland, a high quality natural product

Drinking water Switzerland

The drinking water available in Switzerland meets extremely high quality standards. 80 percent of the water comes from underground sources, the remaining 20 percent is taken from lakes. By setting up groundwater protection zones, it is possible to distribute almost two thirds of Swiss tap water without having to treat it. So you can drink water in Switzerland, from any tap, and enjoy the water without hesitation. Even the ecological balance of tap water is better than that of bottled mineral water. You can find interesting instructional videos from SRF here.

Did you know that drinking water is the most controlled food in Switzerland?

The Swiss water quality is tested regularly and meets the highest guidelines in terms of hygiene and safety. The environmental health organization WHO (World Health Organization) obliges Switzerland to disclose all drinking water data every three years. The FSVO (Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office) and the FOEN (Federal Office for the Environment) are responsible for drawing up the protocols.

These two offices work closely with the cantonal authorities and inform the public about the report “Implementation of the Water and Health Protocol in Switzerland”. It also gives an overview of the projects in the water and wastewater sector.


 

The Drinking Water Ordinance in Switzerland

This is anchored in the Federal Drinking Water Ordinance. Overall, the water quality in Switzerland corresponds to one of the highest requirements in the world. Norms and limit values are set that must be adhered to in order to safeguard Swiss water quality in the future. The drinking water in Switzerland must be below the specified microbiological limit values. The physical and chemical parameters are specified there as well as the tolerance of the limit values for impurities and foreign substances. Impurities in the water are generally to be found in your own domestic tap water system

Drinking water in Switzerland, the ideal thirst quencher

When it comes to tap water, the maxim is to treat it as close to nature as possible, with as few interventions as possible in terms of its composition.

The drinking water consists of spring water, ground water and lake water

Spring water is found especially in the Alpine region and in the Jura, where it goes through various natural purification processes. The water in the mountains seeps through various layers of soil into the subsoil, which cleans it and absorbs valuable minerals such as calcium carbonate and magnesium. Groundwater seeps deep into the soil layers and absorbs minerals, which affects the intensity of the water's taste. Lake water is obtained from the lake water works. In lake basins, the water from various tributaries is stored for a long time and is therefore very soft. Since it is exposed to influences from cities and the surrounding area, it needs to be cleaned in several stages.

Swiss drinking water, as valuable as mineral water

Tap water, depending on its composition of spring, ground and lake water, sometimes has more or fewer minerals. Only about half of the mineral water traded contains more minerals than inexpensive tap water. Since the human body can only absorb a certain amount of minerals, water with a high mineral content often brings hardly any added value.

 On average, a liter of tap water costs 0.2 cents in Switzerland. This beats every mineral water in the price-performance comparison.


 

The drinking water available in Switzerland meets extremely high quality standards. 80 percent of the water comes from underground sources, the remaining 20 percent is taken from lakes. By... read more »
Close window
Drinking water in Switzerland, a high quality natural product

Drinking water Switzerland

The drinking water available in Switzerland meets extremely high quality standards. 80 percent of the water comes from underground sources, the remaining 20 percent is taken from lakes. By setting up groundwater protection zones, it is possible to distribute almost two thirds of Swiss tap water without having to treat it. So you can drink water in Switzerland, from any tap, and enjoy the water without hesitation. Even the ecological balance of tap water is better than that of bottled mineral water. You can find interesting instructional videos from SRF here.

Did you know that drinking water is the most controlled food in Switzerland?

The Swiss water quality is tested regularly and meets the highest guidelines in terms of hygiene and safety. The environmental health organization WHO (World Health Organization) obliges Switzerland to disclose all drinking water data every three years. The FSVO (Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office) and the FOEN (Federal Office for the Environment) are responsible for drawing up the protocols.

These two offices work closely with the cantonal authorities and inform the public about the report “Implementation of the Water and Health Protocol in Switzerland”. It also gives an overview of the projects in the water and wastewater sector.


 

The Drinking Water Ordinance in Switzerland

This is anchored in the Federal Drinking Water Ordinance. Overall, the water quality in Switzerland corresponds to one of the highest requirements in the world. Norms and limit values are set that must be adhered to in order to safeguard Swiss water quality in the future. The drinking water in Switzerland must be below the specified microbiological limit values. The physical and chemical parameters are specified there as well as the tolerance of the limit values for impurities and foreign substances. Impurities in the water are generally to be found in your own domestic tap water system

Drinking water in Switzerland, the ideal thirst quencher

When it comes to tap water, the maxim is to treat it as close to nature as possible, with as few interventions as possible in terms of its composition.

The drinking water consists of spring water, ground water and lake water

Spring water is found especially in the Alpine region and in the Jura, where it goes through various natural purification processes. The water in the mountains seeps through various layers of soil into the subsoil, which cleans it and absorbs valuable minerals such as calcium carbonate and magnesium. Groundwater seeps deep into the soil layers and absorbs minerals, which affects the intensity of the water's taste. Lake water is obtained from the lake water works. In lake basins, the water from various tributaries is stored for a long time and is therefore very soft. Since it is exposed to influences from cities and the surrounding area, it needs to be cleaned in several stages.

Swiss drinking water, as valuable as mineral water

Tap water, depending on its composition of spring, ground and lake water, sometimes has more or fewer minerals. Only about half of the mineral water traded contains more minerals than inexpensive tap water. Since the human body can only absorb a certain amount of minerals, water with a high mineral content often brings hardly any added value.

 On average, a liter of tap water costs 0.2 cents in Switzerland. This beats every mineral water in the price-performance comparison.


 

Close filters
 
  •  
  •  
from to
No results were found for the filter!
Water Test Pesticides
Water Test Pesticides
Test whether you have pesticides or herbicides in your drinking water. Small amounts of these get into the drinking water again and again. Our pesticides drinking water test includes eight common pesticides and biocides, as well as the...
CHF299.00
Water Test Glyphosate
Water Test Glyphosate
Glyphosate is the main component of several total or broad-spectrum herbicides used primarily in agriculture to kill weeds. It is produced both as an acid and as a salt. Its effect on human health remains controversial: the WHO's...
CHF295.00
Water Test Bacteria
Water Test Bacteria
To ensure perfect water hygiene, a water test can be useful. Bacteria can get into tap water in a wide variety of ways and represent a potential hazard. In particular, the total number of bacteria in the water is often increased in...
CHF89.00
Water Analysis Baby
Water Analysis Baby
With the Water Analysis Baby, you can quickly and easily determine whether your tap water is suitable for preparing baby food. Because some parameters that can occur in drinking water are particularly dangerous for babies and pregnant...
CHF87.00
Water Test Well Opti
Water Test Well Opti
The laboratory analysis for your well water determines its relevant chemical ingredients. Through natural and human influences (climate, agriculture, rocks and industry) numerous substances such as nitrate, manganese or ammonium get into...
CHF97.00
Water Test Opti
Water Test Opti
Test your water with the Opti water test and thus contribute to improved water hygiene. Your water is examined for toxic heavy metals in the laboratory, nutrients are also recorded and the water hardness is determined. Why a laboratory...
CHF94.00

Your safety: Carry out a water test on the domestic water supply

The Swiss water quality is excellent, but the drinking water suppliers only have to guarantee the water quality up to the house connection. This means that drinking water pollution is therefore mostly outside the area of responsibility of the respective water supplier.

These pollutants can very often be found in your own water pipes. Because in outdated and dirty water pipes, bacteria, germs and heavy metals can dissolve in the water, which can also be harmful to health if consumed permanently. For this reason, the end user is always advised not to use stagnant water. You should therefore not use water that has been in the pipes for a long time, but always let the tap water flow briefly until cooler, fresh water flows in

 To make sure that your drinking water is free of impurities, you can have it tested for heavy metals, bacteria, legionella and pesticides in our professional laboratory.